ocba - [ocba] Bee swarm in N. Chapel hill - appreciate some advice

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: "Sara" <slmarion AT earthlink.net>
  • To: <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [ocba] Bee swarm in N. Chapel hill - appreciate some advice
  • Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2012 18:08:13 -0400

Title: Bee swarm in N. Chapel hill - appreciate some advice

I have a single hive that has swarmed, and the swarm is on a low branch near the hive.  I am not in a position to try to harvest the swarm, and would appreciate advice from experienced bee keepers.

1)  Can I let the swarm go 'native', and hope they will stay close enough to add pollination benefit?
2)  Should I let one of you experienced bee keepers come claim the swarm for their well-being and better hope of survival?  If this is the best answer, I am 1 mile off I-40 at the New Hope Church exit for someone that might be interested.

Sara   919.619.6879

  • [ocba] Bee swarm in N. Chapel hill - appreciate some advice, Sara, 03/28/2012