ocba - [ocba] Hive check reports?

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Blair Christian <blair.christian AT gmail.com>
  • To: ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [ocba] Hive check reports?
  • Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2012 21:26:26 -0500

Any comments about these photos?
https://picasaweb.google.com/106022773068627809372/HiveCheck1March2012?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCOe-tvCft46_Uw&feat=directlink

I think it's looking pretty well. I treated with MAQS 2 weeks ago,
but I still saw at least half a dozen with shriveled wing virus. It's
my first check after overwintering- does it look fine? Last year I
had one deep and then added one medium in mid summer (the bees filled
it out with honey/sugar syrup). The plan is to get them into 2 deeps
and retrieve the medium for a honey super or something else, so I put
the medium on the bottom and the new deep on top. Any comments other
than, wear a veil? I ordered a marked queen with my nuc when I got it
last June, but this queen is not marked (and has shorter wings than I
was expecting). Abdication?

I still don't know what to expect. Does anybody have anything else to report?

Best,
Blair