ocba - [ocba] OCBA Member Survey

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Todd Walker <mtwalker AT imageray.net>
  • To: "ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org" <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [ocba] OCBA Member Survey
  • Date: Mon, 06 Feb 2012 14:00:01 -0500

The response to the survey has been AWESOME! Thanks to everyone who has participated. We have received some great ideas and would like to present the results at the meeting on Thursday. If you haven't done it yet, please take a couple minutes to complete the survey so we can include your feedback.

Here is the link:

Also, several of you indicated that you would be willing to volunteer at club functions, present to school groups, and/or mentor a new beekeeper BUT didn't fill out your name on the survey. So, if you if are interested in volunteering or presenting at schools/organizations, please contact Watty Bowes ( wbowes AT gmail.com ) so he can get your name on the list. We are going to talk a little bit about presentations at this Thursday's meeting.

If you are interested in becoming mentor, please add your info to the mentor map that Lewis Cauble has created. Here is a re-post of what Lewis has in mind:

--

My vision is to use google maps to connect our more experienced beekeepers with our 75 new beekeepers attending bee school. For a new beekeeper, connecting with a more experienced mentor can be the difference success and frustrating failure.  This mentoring is especially critical in the very early days as the new folks work towards getting their new colonies up and running.  If you can identify eggs you can do some valuble mentoring.

I think the biggest obstacle to mentoring has been simply connecting folks who live in the same area.  I have put together a little google map so we can see where everyone is to try and facilitate these connections.  Go to the google map and enter your location and contact information.  New beekeepers should indicate that they are looking for a bee buddy and experienced folks should indicate that they are available to help out.

Mark your home location with the default blue placemarker.  I have also included some places where I keep bees with a yellow placemarker.  Our meeting places are marked with orange.

We've never done this before so it will be a work in progress.  Let's see how it works out and please offer suggestions for the map or the mentoring program in general to our listserve so that we can discuss.

A quick tutorial about entering your information may be found here .

The map may be found here .

--

If you have trouble, you can also send Lewis your info, and he'll add you to the map. Email him at lewis AT hivebody.com with your name, address, and a little bit about your experience, number of hive, etc and he'll add you. Everyone, please remember that with the troubles that bees are facing today, beekeepers are more important than ever. Let's all work together to be sure that our new beekeepers are successful.

~Todd

  • [ocba] OCBA Member Survey, Todd Walker, 02/06/2012