ocba - [ocba] Bee Problem

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: "Andrew Meyer" <afmeyer9 AT gmail.com>
  • To: <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [ocba] Bee Problem
  • Date: Thu, 2 Feb 2012 16:57:15 -0500

Last Spring, I started two hives from packages. They seemed to do very well
all Summer and Fall and, as far as I could tell, into the Winter. We fed
them a lot. We checked for veroa mites several times and there were always
too few to consider any treatment.
Yesterday, I checked the hives. One had some dead bees and honey still in
it and a little fungus or mold growing on a few spots. The other hive had a
few hundred bees and honey present.
Does anyone have any ideas what happened and where to go from here?

Andy Meyer

  • [ocba] Bee Problem, Andrew Meyer, 02/02/2012