ocba - [ocba] Guards dragging out drones

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: "birdcr AT concentric.net" <birdcr AT concentric.net>
  • To: ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [ocba] Guards dragging out drones
  • Date: Sat, 18 Jun 2011 17:47:27 -0500 (CDT)

Hi,
I'm new to the list, my name is Randy Emmitt. I'm out in Cauldwell
off Guess Rd in Orange County hoping I could locate a mentor for
my hive.

Yesterday I videoed a guard clinging to a drone coming out of the
hive. See the video on my blog at
http://rlephoto.blogspot.com/2011/06/undertaker-bees.html. I did
see some undertaker bees removing dead bees but did not have the
camera.

This afternoon I witnessed 3 drones with a guard clinging onto
them, before they flew off in a period of a few mintues. My
question are these robber bees or the drones are being kicked out
of the hive. The package is just over a month old and continues to
be busy at the entrance, Due an inspection in a few days. last
inspection did show capped brood.

Thanks,
Randy Emmitt

  • [ocba] Guards dragging out drones, birdcr AT concentric.net, 06/18/2011