ocba - [ocba] Lost bees

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Marilyn Davis <mlqdavis AT hotmail.com>
  • To: <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [ocba] Lost bees
  • Date: Sun, 1 May 2011 22:56:00 +0000

We have just found that our bees are gone.  We started last spring with two hives.  In the fall one was stronger than the other but both had brood and honey and we hoped they would make it through the winter.  In Feb. both hives were active on warm days and we had spotted the queen in the weaker hive.  As time went on there seem to be less and less bees.  Three weeks ago we did an inspection and found lots of dead bees from the winter and almost no brood.  Today, there are no bees.  Some dead bees are head first in cells.  We did not see any obvious signs of disease or extreme pests.

Please give me your feed back.  Should we call out an inspector?  Is there any option for starting over or do we have to wait for next spring?

Many thanks,
Marilyn and Harry Davis