ocba - Re: [ocba] Henbit Pollen

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Lewis Cauble <lewis AT hivebody.com>
  • To: bees Orange County <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [ocba] Henbit Pollen
  • Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2011 14:35:35 -0500

I would certainly put my ear against the side of the hive and give it a good tap.  You should hear the bees buzz a bit inside with each tap.  If you don't hear a distinct buzz, I'd crack it open and dig a bit.  If you see a good cluster, put it back together and let it be.  It's a bit windy today to be doing a thorough inspection but you should be able to determine if the colony is still kicking.   If you see a few bees scrounging, they are probably robbers from nearby cleaning up the honey and it's time to order a package.

Lewis