ocba - [ocba] Free Bees

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Lewis Cauble <lewis AT hivebody.com>
  • To: NC Beekeepers Orange County <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [ocba] Free Bees
  • Date: Fri, 8 Oct 2010 18:32:51 -0400

Go get 'em!  Details below.

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Brent Burkhart" <bburkhart AT chapelhill-cc.com>
Date: October 8, 2010 12:56:49 PM EDT
Subject: FW: bees

Here is a picture of the hive.

Thanks again,
Brent

Brent Burkhart
General Manager
Chapel Hill Country Club
919-967-8201

-----Original Message-----
From: carolyn landever [mailto:clandever AT nc.rr.com]
Sent: Sunday, October 03, 2010 7:18 PM
To: Brent Burkhart
Subject: bees

hi~

towards the end of the summer, my kids and i noticed an enormous mass of
bees hovering by and within a bush close to the main entrance of the pool.
i mentioned it to jeff, who said he thought it was a society of bees
gathering in a tight ball as they chose their next queen bee.  he thought
that once that happened (within days), the bees would disperse and
everything would go back to normal.

it's been a month now, and when my daughter corey was looking for nature
pictures to use for a science project, she noticed a large number of bees
still in this bush.  on closer look, as you can see from her picture, it
appears to be an active honeycomb.  is this still something that is
considered transient, or assuming it is a bee hive, should you have bee
folks take it away now?  i understand that bees are quite beneficial, but
would hate to have someone bother (innocently or not) and then be attacked
by a swarm of them.  perhaps it can be moved somewhere farther from people,
i.e. not on a walking path.

JPEG image

~carolyn landever