ocba - Re: [ocba] Small Hive Beetle

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: "Saundra Kirven" <skirven AT pharmasset.com>
  • To: "Jennifer Soliman" <jennifer.kiefer.soliman AT gmail.com>, "Orange County Bees" <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [ocba] Small Hive Beetle
  • Date: Mon, 4 Oct 2010 08:37:32 -0400

Hi Jenn,

I just found some Small Hive Beetles in both of my hives this weekend, too!  Fortunately, one hive is quite strong and I think they could probably keep the SHB invasion under control.  Unfortunately, my 2nd hive isn’t as strong and the SHB could jeopardize the colony without intervention.  My plan of attack was going to be a beetle trap using the oil/vinegar combination as recommended in the book.  Additionally, I was going to look into treating the soil around the hives (possibly with milky spore – but I haven’t determined if this might work or not).

Does anyone out there know if this strategy is aggressive enough (or not)?

Saundra