ocba - Re: [ocba] what kind of bees do I have?

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Randall Austin <ra41717 AT gmail.com>
  • To: Alicia Reenders <a.reenders AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [ocba] what kind of bees do I have?
  • Date: Wed, 07 Apr 2010 21:15:05 -0400

Alicia,

There are thousands of species of bees. The website http://bugguide.net/node/view/3076 has terrific photos of many of them, arranged taxonomically. There is a chance you may be able to pick yours out. Let us know what you find!

Randall Austin

Alicia Reenders wrote:
p2jd2235bc1004071740zf6b33c02ma21a7f0c55f67abb AT mail.gmail.com" type="cite">Hello!

I have just noticed some bees that moved into an old log that is being used as a table on my front porch. I only got a few minutes to look at them. The log seems to be fully intact, but I'm not sure, it may have hollow spots in the middle. There are about 5-8 holes chewed into the wood with sawdust under the log. The holes are on all different sides, and one on the top. The bees I see are definitely not carpenter bees.

They look like large honey bees, somewhat dark brown or blackish in color. Not very fuzzy looking. Not very stripey. I only saw 4-5 bees come and go into the holes in the log. They had pollen on their back legs like a honey bee. But there were so few of them. I even tipped the log and let it fall, and no bees came out.

So that was the brief look I got at them. It was getting a bit dark. I might try to investigate more tomorrow in the light. I hope to make it to the meeting tomorrow, so maybe I can describe them to someone there if I see more.

Thanks!
-Alicia