ocba - [ocba] OCBA Bee School Thursday, Feb 18

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Lewis Cauble <lewis AT hivebody.com>
  • To: NC Beekeepers Orange County <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [ocba] OCBA Bee School Thursday, Feb 18
  • Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2010 12:47:26 -0500

Hello New Beekeepers,
Thursday evening our guest will be Trey O'Ferrell and he will be discussing managing hives for honey and pollination.  Read chapter 5 and have your questions ready.

I have a had a few email questions this week about installing packages.   Please download read this pdf guide produced by NCSU on How to Install Package Bees.  I'll try to remember to bring an empty package and a queen cage for your inspection Thursday evening and we will try to answer any questions about that.

I have scheduled 3 field days with our inspectors.  This is a fantastic time to get some hands on experience in a hive.  We will light our smokers, pop some hive tops, and hopefully show you around some healthy as well as dysfunctional hives.   Pick one of the field days or come to all three.  The field days are scheduled as follows:

Wednesday, March 17.  1 PM.  Busy Bee Apiaries with Don Hopkins.

Saturday, March 20.  1 PM.  Busy Bee Apiaries with Don Hopkins.

Saturday, March 27.  9:30 AM.  Cedar Grove Bee Works with Will Hicks.

The NCSBA Spring Meeting in Lumberton is only 2 weeks away.  Early registration ends on March 2nd.  Registration after March 2nd will cost you an extra 5 bucks.  Read more about the meeting here.  If you haven't picked up your equipment yet, many of the vendors will bring your order to the meeting to save shipping costs for you.  Equipment vendors usually include, Brushy Mtn, Miller, Dadant, and Rossman.

See you Thursday night!

Home Improvement Projects
Improve your home. Click for products, services, and project ideas.

  • [ocba] OCBA Bee School Thursday, Feb 18, Lewis Cauble, 02/17/2010