ocba - [ocba] Fwd: [NCSBA-Chapters] Apiculture update

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Lewis Cauble <lewis AT hivebody.com>
  • To: NC Beekeepers Orange County <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [ocba] Fwd: [NCSBA-Chapters] Apiculture update
  • Date: Wed, 27 Jan 2010 21:48:19 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: "David R. Tarpy" <david_tarpy AT ncsu.edu>
Date: January 27, 2010 9:08:54 PM EST
To: David Tarpy <drtarpy AT gw.ncsu.edu>
Cc: County Listserv <ncsba-chapters-list AT rtpnet.org>
Subject: [NCSBA-Chapters] Apiculture update

Hi everyone,

It's been a little while since I've provided any updates on the current status of Colony Collapse Disorder, or CCD. That's not because I've been lazy, but rather because there hasn't been much new! A recent article in Science magazine (attached) summarizes the status quo fairly nicely.

Also, this month's research review column covers some recent data on sugar dusting entire colonies for varroa control. Unfortunately, the results aren't all that encouraging:

http://www.cals.ncsu.edu/entomology/apiculture/Html%20files/Ellis_et.al.2009.html

Finally, we've had an excellent response to the 'Born & Bred' initiative on queen rearing and bee breeding, with over 300 sending in their letters of intent so far. We're sending out letters to everyone this week notifying them of the dates and locations, the first of which will be held in conjunction with the NCSBA Spring Conference on March 5-6th. As such, we'll only be accepting new letters of intent (available for download on our website at http://www.cals.ncsu.edu/entomology/apiculture/BornAndBred.html) until February 12th to give us enough time to coordinate with interested beekeepers. If you know of any beekeeper who might be interested in the workshops, please be sure to have them send us their contact information by then. In the meantime, check for updates later this week on our website concerning workshop dates and locations.

Thanks to everyone, and hope your bees are overwintering well. Sincerely, David

******************************
David R. Tarpy
Associate Professor and Extension Apiculturist
Department of Entomology, Campus Box 7613
North Carolina State University
Raleigh, NC  27695-7613
TEL: (919) 515-1660
FAX: (919) 515-7746