ocba - Re: [ocba] Buckwheat

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Tom Wright <twright AT vicksburg.com>
  • To: Lewis Cauble <lewis AT hivebody.com>
  • Cc: NC Beekeepers Orange County <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [ocba] Buckwheat
  • Date: Wed, 26 Aug 2009 10:54:43 -0400

If you have the space, plant some anise hyssop.

Tom

Lewis Cauble wrote:
Hello Beekeepers,
About a month ago, Rob Bowers from Whitted-Bowers farm gave me 150 lbs of buckwheat seed. My farmer neighbor, Keith Hawkins, had about an acre of fallow land next to our house and he agreed to plant the seeds for us there. The buckwheat started blooming last week and it's absolutely amazing. I was out there this morning at around 8:30 and the bees were not yet working it. I split some nucs yesterday so first thing this morning the bees were milling around my utility trailer that had the empty feed buckets and old comb, dumpster diving for a bit of old sugar syrup. I went back out at 9:30 and the bees had abandoned the still sticky buckets for the buckwheat. The entire acre has the low hum of some serious workers and the flight paths to and from the hives are cluttered with bees. It's a site and sound to behold.

If you are ever up this way, please feel free to stop by and check it out. The bees only work it in the morning, but there are other pollinators out there all of the time.

I'm at 7211 Wilkerson Rd in Cedar Grove. Pull in the driveway and look behind the house and to the right. You can't miss it.

Best Weight Loss Program - Click Here!
http://thirdpartyoffers.netzero.net/TGL2241/fc/BLSrjpYSwrEdkZ4OYTMHmzghVU91Bt5FJvhIS27UVgwwpJmNpmqPmC9ONPK/