ocba - [ocba] another requeening method

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: John Mulholland <john AT mulhollandonline.com>
  • To: ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [ocba] another requeening method
  • Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2009 15:33:49 -0500

Hello all,

I am interested in hearing what people think of the following method:
  1. Make a split to ward off swarming (making sure eggs, honey and brood are present within the split).
  2. Wait two months
  3. Recombine the two colonies.
The theory is that in most cases you'll end up with a new queen, and if you don't you are better off with the old one.

I understand that a bee keeper called Randy Quinn is promoting this method (1). Like him I am interested in the subject of Gene pool diversity, and cautious of the introduction of homogeneous hybrid stock.

Regards,
John

(1) http://www.beeuntoothers.com/2008organicconference.html