ocba - [ocba] December Meeting

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Lewis Cauble <lewis AT hivebody.com>
  • To: Undisclosed-recipients: ;
  • Cc: "Orange County, NC Beekeepers" <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [ocba] December Meeting
  • Date: Sun, 7 Dec 2008 21:22:35 -0500

Hello Everyone,
Just a reminder that our regular monthly meeting will be this Thursday, Dec 11. We will be gathering at the usual place but at 6:30 instead of our usual 7:30. This month will be a casual potluck dinner. There will also be a gift exchange for those that would like to participate. Small gifts under $10.00 please.

A little follow up from our November meeting...

1. Thank you David Langham for a very well done "Fun with Beeswax" presentation.

2. I passed around at the last meeting a copy of the State Fair premium book regarding honey and bee products. If you would like your own copy, you may download it here...
http://www.ncstatefair.org/2008/competitions/PremiumBook/2008DeptI.pdf
It's a small file and will download in a jiffy, even if you are limited to dial up speeds. I hope many of our club members will consider entering something in 2009.

3. I passed around a Golden Achievement application and guide at the last meeting. The NCSBA Golden Achievement details may be found here...
http://www.ncbeekeepers.org/GAP_Guide011108.pdf
I intend to send in a completed application for our club early next year. I don't expect us to bring home the gold with it, but I do hope to use the application process as a tool to help us discover ways that we may continue to improve OCBA. Look over the application, think about OCBA, and consider what we might do to make OCBA the 2009 Chapter of the Year.

4. Programs...Don Hopkins will join us in January to talk about swarm management. Our own Charles Fleckenstein will talk to us about apitherapy in July. Jennifer Keller from NCSU will be here in August to talk to us about preparing honey to be entered in the fair. Other guests/topics that I believe may be in the works but are not confirmed yet include making meade, queen rearing, nectar sources, and a report from the March 6-7 State Meeting. There is plenty of room left on the schedule, so please suggest programs for us. If you have a topic that you would like to present, talk to Gayle Young so we can get you on the schedule. We hope to do a field day in April involving removing bees from structures. Jack Tapp has also invited us down to Busy Bee for a short course on queen rearing, so we may be able to do 2 different field days this year.

5. I believe Brushy Mtn has free shipping until Dec 19 on orders over 50 bucks, but please confirm this with them before ordering.

6. Busy Bee will have packages this year. I believe Busy Bee will be picking up the packages from H&R Apiaries in Jesup, GA on April 8. More details about that in January.

See you Thursday!

Lewis Cauble

Click to get a free auto insurance quotes from top companies.
http://thirdpartyoffers.netzero.net/TGL2241/fc/PnY6rx9Kli7WNGppt5oPJuLG5E9oZWs7lcQBwnujvH59NpwAA3igc/

  • [ocba] December Meeting, Lewis Cauble, 12/07/2008