ocba - [ocba] Fwd: Register Now for 2009 Chatham Beekeeping School

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: "Becky Bollinger" <beckyalis AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Orange County, NC Beekeepers" <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [ocba] Fwd: Register Now for 2009 Chatham Beekeeping School
  • Date: Sun, 16 Nov 2008 22:50:52 -0500

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Debbie Roos <Debbie.Roos AT chathamnc.org>
Date: Sun, Nov 16, 2008 at 8:49 PM
To: sustagchatham <sustagchatham AT lists.ncsu.edu>

Back by popular demand...the Chatham County Center of North Carolina Cooperative Extension has teamed up again with the Chatham County Beekeepers' Association to conduct an 8-week Beekeeping School in early 2009.

The honey bee (Apis mellifera) is a vital component of agriculture in North Carolina. Honey bees and the products of the hive, including honey, pollen, and bees wax account for approximately $10 million dollars annually in the state. However, the products derived directly from honey bees are only a small part of their true value. As bees visit flowers to collect nectar and pollen, they transfer pollen grains from one flower to another, which fertilizes them and produces fruit and seeds. Without visits from bees, many crops would have lower yields and produce foods of lower quality. In North Carolina, many of the economically important crops such as cucumbers, apples, blueberries, and melons are dependent on honey bees for pollination and account for $100 million every year.

Unfortunately, the fate of the honey bee in North Carolina is in question. Because of pests and diseases that have been introduced from other parts of the world, the honey bee population has declined dramatically in the past 20 years. It has been estimated that 98% of the feral (wild) colonies have been eliminated. The number of managed colonies has also suffered, dropping in number from a high of 180,000 in the late 1980s to approximately 100,000 at present. Due to the lack of feral colonies, it is of great importance to maintain the numbers of managed honey bee colonies to ensure adequate crop pollination.

We are doing a beekeeping school to introduce others to the joys of beekeeping, and to increase the number of skilled beekeepers in our region. Come join us and find out how fun and rewarding beekeeping can be!

The school will be held on Monday evenings from 7:00-9:00 pm at the Agricultural Building Auditorium in Pittsboro. Classes run from January 5-March 2. The school offers something for everyone, from total beginners to experienced beekeepers.

The cost for the entire 8-week school is $35 and includes a resource notebook.

Last year's school was extremely popular and sold out when we reached 120 folks (we maxed out our auditorium space!). Judging by the number of requests for information I have received, I have a feeling interest in the 2009 school will be equally high. So if you really want to attend, you are advised to send in your registration early.

To view the course outline, go to the Chatham Beekeepers' Association website at http://www.chathambeekeepers.org - from there you can download a registration form. To register, send in payment along with your registration form.

For more information, email debbie_roos AT ncsu.edu or call 919-542-8202.

I hope to see you there!

Debbie

Debbie Roos
Agricultural Extension Agent
Chatham County Center
North Carolina Cooperative Extension
919.542.8202
debbie_roos AT ncsu.edu
www.growingsmallfarms.org

  • [ocba] Fwd: Register Now for 2009 Chatham Beekeeping School, Becky Bollinger, 11/16/2008