ocba - [ocba] State Fair Display

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Connie Harrell <harrellconnie AT yahoo.com>
  • To: ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [ocba] State Fair Display
  • Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2008 04:38:31 -0700 (PDT)

Here are the results from the State Fair display booths:
1.  Wake County
2. Stanly Co.
3.Wayne Co.
4. Orange Co.
5. Pitt Co.
6. Forsyth Co.
7. Person Co.

I must say when my husband and I went to set up the booth, and saw Wake Counties crew of seven all with power tools building their set we nearly did a tail spin out of there!  Yes, I was intimidated but knew it was important for Orange County to at least represent.  I have never been to the fair before so this was a learning experience and you have to start some where.  As I was putting up our display using safety pins, duck tape and plastic zip ties I was already planning our display for next year.  I did go back and check out the competition later.  There were nine entries.  What all the winners had were lots of honey in different forms.  Lots of wax and lighting.  Oh, and all their stuff was displayed perfectly.  We will need a variety of stuff from the hive, and cool lighting.  I have already got two electrical engineers who promise to help rig up some LED lighting for our display next year.
What our club will need to do is have lots of honey and different wax items ready for next year.  Wow, guess what!  David Langham is going to be giving a talk about candle making at our next meeting.  So try to make the next meeting.
Another thing I would like to do is have us enter some of our honey, wax, food made with honey, and honey bee related photos next year.  I looked at some of the photos and thought to myself mine are better.  Maybe we could get someone to give a talk about entering  honey and wax.
The judges are picky and there are things to do to have a winning edge.
When I went last night to pick up the display I did notice all the pamphlets and OCBA business cards were gone.  Also people lingered at our display .  So hopefully we will get some new members out of it.
I will be bringing back the honeybee,(thanks it was perfect!)  the skep( very cool) and the squares (I loved those they were my favorite part) to the next meeting.  So if you are not going to make the meeting let me know so I can bring it to the Jan. meeting.

thanks, Connie Harrell

  • [ocba] State Fair Display, Connie Harrell, 10/27/2008