ocba - Re: [ocba] tiny larvae

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: "Janet Austin" <jcaustin AT visionet.org>
  • To: "'Orange County, NC Beekeepers'" <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [ocba] tiny larvae
  • Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2007 21:10:02 -0400

Title: Message
Elizabeth,

The larvae could be from any of a number of little beasties that hang around hives. These were taking advantage of the warmth, chowing down on the litter and protected from the bees by the screen.

Of course the ones to watch out for are wax moths and small hive beetles. Both of these larvae will be bigger than 1/4 inch. Wax moth larvae are greyish white and have legs all along their bodies, just like catepillars (which they are). They move along like inch worms. Here are some pictures: http://www.ent.uga.edu/bees/Disorders/wax_moths.htm
Small hive beetles are white. They only have legs on the first few segments of their bodies, not all along the length. So when they move, they drag the back end along behind (more like the way a slug moves, not an inching motion). Here are some pics: http://www.ent.uga.edu/bees/Disorders/wax_moths.htm

My guess is that the small beige larvae you see are probably from something innocent and ordinary, nothing to worry about.

Randall Austin