ocba - Re: [ocba] Apiservices - Beekeeping - Article - Suiting up for thehoney wars

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: "john wallace" <jwllace AT hotmail.com>
  • To: ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [ocba] Apiservices - Beekeeping - Article - Suiting up for thehoney wars
  • Date: Fri, 09 Mar 2007 13:36:19 -0500

ANOTHER TOOL IN BEEKEEPING! I BET BRUSHY MT. WILL SOON OFFER THIS IN THEIR NEXT CATALOG.

From: Tom Wright <twright AT vicksburg.com>
To: "Orange County, NC Beekeepers" <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
Date: Fri, 09 Mar 2007 11:25:02 -0500

I don't know if Thomas shared this with youall, but it's a neat
ecofriendly economical beesuit. You could use local materials such as
Johnson grass, or, if you're near the coast, saltmarsh cordgrass would
be fine. Remember that these folks are dealing with real African bees,
not the wimpy hybrids we have here. They also use a paste made of
verbena and some kind of euforb leaves instead of smoke :ha ven't been
able to find it on the net. Note that they don't cut the tree down(good
conservation practice) , but use scaffolding to get to the entrance hole.

I trust that you all know how to find beetrees?

Tom
http://www.beekeeping.com/articles/us/honey_war.htm