ocba - [ocba] Charlotte Observer article;Colony Collapse Disorder

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: "David Langham" <david_langham AT hotmail.com>
  • To: ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [ocba] Charlotte Observer article;Colony Collapse Disorder
  • Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2007 12:43:39 -0500

All,
The following is an important email I received from the NCSBA this morning that I want to pass along to you.
David

From: David Tarpy <david_tarpy AT ncsu.edu>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2007 08:31:31 -0500

Hi Marcel,

Yes, this has been an important issue for all of us lately. We don't
have any conclusive insights at the moment, only hypotheses. For the
moment, the latest information about CCD can be found at:

http://maarec.cas.psu.edu/pressReleases/ColonyCollapseDisorderWG.html

I will be attending a small working group a week from today in FL about
this, and I am on a grant that was recently awarded from the National
Honey Board (w/ the Penn State folks) to try and determine the
causative agent of CCD. As of right now, it is a "disorder" and not a
"disease" since it could be environmental or epidemiological; we just
don't know for certain. Depending on what I learn in FL, my plan was to
provide an overview of CCD--with Don Hopkins and the NCDA--at the
spring conference to dispel speculation and place it into a correct
context. Importantly, this disorder appears to be a different
phenomenon from a new strain of Nosema that has been infecting colonies
in Europe, which may also have been recently found in the U.S. A review
of the two newest beekeeping problems can be found at:

http://www.cals.ncsu.edu/entomology/apiculture/Research_reviews.html

We will certainly be in touch with everyone once we have some concrete
information, but in the meantime please assure your beekeepers that NC
apiculture officials are making this a top priority and taking a lead
on determining what we can do about it.

Sincerely, David

******************************
David R. Tarpy
Assistant Professor and Extension Apiculturist
Department of Entomology, Campus Box 7613
North Carolina State University
Raleigh, NC 27695-7613
TEL: (919) 515-1660
FAX: (919) 515-7746
CELL: (919) 218-4084
LAB: (919) 513-7702
WEB: http://entomology.ncsu.edu/apiculture
EMAIL: david_tarpy AT ncsu.edu

On Feb 12, 2007, at 7:56 AM, Marcel Renn wrote:

> From: Marcel Renn, President Rowan County Beekeeper Ass.
> To: David Tarpy, Ph.D
>
> David:
>
> There is an article in today's Charlotte Observer on the second page;
> ILLNESS STINGS HONEYBEES.
>
> A commercial beekeeper, Mr. Hackenberg reported a big loss of bees to
> Penn State as a Colony Collapse Disorder. Diana Cox-Foster a Penn
> State entomology professor investigating the problem noticed a high
> number of foreign fungi.......
>
> Can you please elaborate about this new disease. It would be super If
> I had some answers for tonight's beekeeper meeting.
>

> Thank you.
>

> Marcel

Get in the mood for Valentine's Day. View photos, recipes and more on your Live.com page. http://www.live.com/?addTemplate=ValentinesDay&ocid=T001MSN30A0701

  • [ocba] Charlotte Observer article;Colony Collapse Disorder, David Langham, 02/12/2007