ocba - Re: [ocba] organic honey?

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: "G. Blake Alexander, O.D." <baiiii AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: "A list for the Orange County, NC Beekeepers Association" <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [ocba] organic honey?
  • Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2006 18:41:57 -0500

Jeff: My understanding is: It's not what the honeybee brings to the hive, but what the beekeeper puts into the hive when treating for pests. That is: If you treat with powdered sugar its organic---If you treat with Apistan or other chemicals, it ain't.
Best,
Blake

Jeff Bollinger wrote:
So, I have seen honey being sold as "organic honey", but since bees can and will pollinate and extract nectar from whatever they can, how can the beekeeper ensure that their honey is 'organic'? I'm sure there's some official FDA regulation or something that ensures a product is organic, but does anyone know how this works for honey?

Thanks!
Jeff