ncmia - [NCMIA] June Meeting

ncmia AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: NC Moving Image Archivists

  • From: Kirston Johnson <kirston.johnson AT duke.edu>
  • To: 'NCMIA' <ncmia AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NCMIA] June Meeting
  • Date: Fri, 7 May 2010 15:04:05 -0400

Hi NCMIA folks –

I’d like to host our next meeting at Duke and thought mid to late-June might be a good time to do this.  Because I’d like as many of you as possible to attend, I’m writing to ask that you send out days and times that will work best for you.

Stephanie Stewart and I have been discussing meeting topics and both collecting policies and appraisal for moving image materials have been suggested.  What do you all think about focusing on those two areas in June?

At some point, I’m also interested in a meeting that focuses on choosing both access and preservation master file formats for analog videotape digitization – and how those might change depending on source tape characteristics, long-term preservation goals, and IT support.  I’m also interested in finding out more about how archives are working with IT / storage admin staff to store and preserve digital moving image files.

Duke Libraries recently purchased a SAMMA Solo, an automated tape to digital file migration system, and I’m happy to show everyone our new moving image digitization workstation in June.

Let me know what you all think!

Best,

Kirston

Kirston Johnson

Moving Image Archivist

Duke University

Rare Book, Manuscript, and Special Collections

Box 90767

Smith Warehouse, Bay 10

114 South Buchanan Blvd.

Durham, NC  27708