ncmia - [NCMIA] SAMMA Solo Demo

ncmia AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: NC Moving Image Archivists

  • From: Brian Davis <brian.e.davis AT duke.edu>
  • To: ncmia AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NCMIA] SAMMA Solo Demo
  • Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2008 17:03:05 -0400

Hello everyone,

Thank you to those of you who expressed a desire to take part in the SAMMA Solo demonstration. I spoke with Steve this morning and the demonstration will take place Monday September 22nd at 2PM. The Digital Production Center (where I work)  will be moving into new facilities in the Perkins Library late in August, so we can tentatively plan on meeting there for the demo. Steve Kwartek will be giving a Powerpoint presentation followed by a live demonstration of the SAMMA Solo.

For those who may not be able to make it to the demo, Steve has proposed (fingers crossed) leaving the unit with Duke for a couple weeks. Duke University Libraries will certainly try to accommodate anyone interested in seeing SAMMA in action for the time that we have it.

thanks,

Brian

Brian E. Davis
Digital Production Developer
Duke University Libraries
Box 90176
Durham, NC 27708
919.681.8635

http://library.duke.edu
http://tvc15media.com
brian.e.davis AT duke.edu

----- Forwarded by Brian Davis/Libraries/Provost/Academic/Univ/Duke on 06/28/08 03:55 PM -----

Brian Davis/Libraries/Provost/Academic/Univ/Duke

06/17/08 01:44 PM

NCMIA
cc
Subject
SAMMA Solo

Hello everyone,

For those of you who weren't at the last meeting at UNC, one of the things that was mentioned was a possible demonstration of the SAMMA Solo from SAMMA Systems. You may had heard of them because they received a lot of press a couple years ago when the Library of Congress turned to them for mass audiovisual digitization. SAMMA Systems now builds a turnkey digitization system called the SAMMA Solo (http://www.sammasystems.com/?q=singlechannel_overview) that essentially combines the roles of the analog-to-digital encoder, the time base corrector, and video workstation, into one semi-automated unit.

Steve Kwartek, Director of Archive Sales for SAMMA Systems/ Media Matters has contacted me about a possible demonstration of the SAMMA Solo. I'll be speaking with him sometime next week about setting this up, but first I wanted to get a sense of who among us would be interested in such a demonstration and I also wanted to establish a general time-frame for having it. I'm thinking that late September may work best.

Feel free to email me personally with any specific questions.