nafex - Re: [nafex] Severe moth damage

  • From: Devin Smith <dvidedevo@yahoo.com>
  • To: Megan Lynch <spidra@gmail.com>, "nafex@lists.ibiblio.org" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Severe moth damage
  • Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2021 00:32:12 +0000 (UTC)

Thanks Megan,Yes, an important detail I overlooked is my location. I’m indeed
in southern VT. SWD arrived here maybe 4-5 yrs ago. I’m thinking this is a
new arrival too. I’m fairly certain it is NOT the common fruit piercing moth,
which is a tropical species as you note, though that has spread as far as
Caledonia, Scotland! Though the general feeding behavior seems quite similar,
the size and coloration don’t match at all. At about 1” long, this moth is
about half the size of the common fruit piercing moth. It is entirely mottled
grey, lacking any bright coloration of its inner wings or thorax, whereas the
fruit piercing moth has a large patch of orange/red visible during flight.
These moths are present here from perhaps mid-June until maybe mid-October. I
know nothing of their life cycle and so far have been able to drum of very
little info about them. I’m planning to contact the state entomologist and
the NRCS extension agent who deals with small fruits. I’d be very surprised
if these aren’t causing mayhem elsewhere. Between them and the SWD that
infests their feeding sites, it looks like a tree ripened peach may be a near
impossibility. I guess I might consider netting the trees. -Devin

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPhone