nafex - [nafex] apricot gummosis and apple tree rootstock

  • From: Ginda Fisher <list@ginda.us>
  • To: NAFEX Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [nafex] apricot gummosis and apple tree rootstock
  • Date: Tue, 5 May 2020 10:53:23 -0400

Well, I had an apricot tree for several years. Didn’t get much fruit, because
the squirrels like them green, but it was fun. Then it died of gummosis. I
replaced it with another apricot, which has been doing okay. Until yesterday,
when I noticed that there’s a LOT of gum in the ground next to its trunk.

So… should I buy one of Cummins’s Orchards reduced-price apple rootstocks and
graft something I like to it? I’d probably graft Ashmead’s Kernal, because I
have some on a tree in a crappy, not-enough-sun part of the yard, and this
tree is in one of the best spots.

If I do, any recommendations? Looking for something semi-dwarf. It needs to
be large enough that eventually a deer won’t eat the whole thing, but my
Jonathan on M111 in the front yard would be too large for this spot.

Cummins has:
B9, G11, G41, G210, G202, G969, G890, and B118 in stock. just thinning that
by size, G210, G202, G969 might be suitable. I’m thinking G210 looks too good
to be true, so it probably has some problem I’m not aware of. Anyone tried it?

Thanks,
Ginda Fisher
eastern MA, zone 6