nafex - [nafex] If you had one blueberry bush...

  • From: Ginda Fisher <list@ginda.us>
  • To: NAFEX Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [nafex] If you had one blueberry bush...
  • Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2020 08:34:48 -0400

I have a lot of blueberry bushes, but I don’t get any berries because the
birds and chipmunks eat them all. I also have a large cage, about 3’x4’ and
about 8’ high, that I built to protect a “Carmine Jewel” cherry.

The cherry is overgrowing the cage. More importantly, I don’t love it. It
doesn’t have a lot of “zing”. So I’m thinking of taking it out, and wondered
what i could grow in the cage.

A large blueberry bush! That would fit nicely. And I adore blueberries.

But I only have space to protect one. So I want the very best. That would
mean:
Lots of flavor (more small berries are almost certainly better than fewer
large berries)
Lots of total fruit
I tend to prefer fruits on the sour side, and often find very sweet fruit
bland
Of course, it has to be hardy where I live, eastern MA, zone 6. The soil
isn’t super-acidic, but all those other blueberry bushes seem to do okay,
except for the fruit all going away before it’s ripe.

I like a somewhat firm blueberry, but some of the firmest ones don’t feel
life blueberries to me. I don’t want my blueberries t crunch.

So, what blueberry would you recommend?

Many thanks,
Ginda Fisher
eastern MA, zone 6