nafex - [nafex] M41 apple rootstock and rocks

  • From: Ginda Fisher <list@ginda.us>
  • To: NAFEX Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [nafex] M41 apple rootstock and rocks
  • Date: Sun, 07 Apr 2019 11:12:01 -0400

I'm trying to plant an apple on m41. Everywhere i dig, I come across rocks
too large to remove from the hole. Do I need to keep digging in new places
until I find a relatively rock-free patch of land? That's a big ask, in my
small New England yard with lots of shade.

The rocks are about a foot down. It's not a solid ledge. In theory, an
industrious tree could spread its roots between and around them. I think. But
is m41 that kind of root stock?

One way or another, the tree will be planted today.

Thanks
--
Ginda
Eastern Mass, zone 6

  • [nafex] M41 apple rootstock and rocks, Ginda Fisher, 04/07/2019