nafex - Re: [nafex] self fertile pears?

  • From: "Jim Fruth" <jimfruth@charter.net>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] self fertile pears?
  • Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2016 20:37:38 -0500

My pear flowers seem to have both pistle and stamens.

-----Original Message----- From: Henry
Sent: Wednesday, October 12, 2016 8:17 AM
To: mailing list at ibiblio - Northamerican Allied Fruit Experimenters

The purpose of a plant seems to be to reproduce itself.

I have heard that some plants "get frustrated" after years of not producing seed and "fix" the problem.

We are not allowed to grow the "sterile" forms of the invasive buckthorn here in Minnesota because they tend to revert to seed production when they get "old."

Some isolated "female" dioecious plants will grow a branch of "male" flowers so as to be able to make viable seeds.

I don't know what the pears might be doing to pull this off.

--Henry Fieldseth