nafex - Re: [nafex] Intraspecific graft incompatibility among apple clones?

  • From: Elizabeth Hilborn <ehilborn@mebtel.net>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Intraspecific graft incompatibility among apple clones?
  • Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2016 07:20:36 -0400

Thank you Ginda. I will give the folks at Cummins a call. They certainly have experience using M111.

Betsy

On 10/10/2016 12:42 AM, Ginda Fisher wrote:
On Oct 9, 2016, at 11:05 PM, Elizabeth Hilborn wrote:

Hi folks,

I am attempting to propagate a very good apple variety I discovered at a SW
Virginia homestead.

I grafted it to 1 Bud9 dwarfing rootstock and it is healthy and vigorous. On
the 3 M111 grafts I have, it is alive, but struggling. Small sample size, but
I am struck by the difference.

I found:
*b. Interclonal (between clones) / intraspecific*
Interclonal / intraspecific compatibility (/among apples/ /Ed./) is the rule
rather than the exception.

From:
https://courses.cit.cornell.edu/hort494/mg/specific.grafting/compatibility.html

Has anyone observed apple graft incompatibility?

Is M111 known to be problematic?

Betsy Hilborn
7a NC

A couple of years ago I grafted a seedling tree with sentimental value to M7,
G11, and a seedling crab apple. The season was wrong for grafting due to
conditions beyond my control. Nonetheless, all of the grafts took except
those to G11. Mine is an even smaller sample size, perhaps. And it might
just be random chance. But the guy I spoke with at Cummins mentioned that M7
would be a good rootstock to use because it's very easy to graft to.

Ginda