nafex - Re: [nafex] Niwot Black Raspberry Patent

  • From: Jerry Lehman <jwlehmantree@gmail.com>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Niwot Black Raspberry Patent
  • Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2016 07:46:57 -0400

On 9/6/2016 6:24 AM, Pete Tallman wrote:
I am pleased to announce that the U.S. Plant Patent for the 'Niwot'
primocane-fruiting black raspberry was issued today as U.S. Plant Patent
number PP27,131. Help from certain NAFEX people was essential to the
breeding program.
Good Morning Pete,

Congratulations on achieving the plant patent for Niwot.

We purchased 5 plants last spring and have been very pleased with it. I am planning to rip out the old raspberry bed of which I don't remember the original variety and I suspect now is primarily under performing seedlings. I was under the impression that Niwot would set 2 crops, an early summer then late fall. Quite frankly it seems to be more ever bearing than a duel ripening season as we have been picking fruit now for 60 days with many new clusters forming. Many of the berries are actually dual (Siamese twin) with one being larger than the other. It is very vigorous and I need to increase the height of the top trellis wire to keep the cains off the ground. Presently the top wire is about 5 feet and I should add another one 2 feet higher.

Again, congratulations and my fruit breeding hat is off to you.

Jerry Lehman