nafex - [nafex] English Walnuts not doing so well

  • From: "Cabe, Paul" <CabeP@wlu.edu>
  • To: "'nafex@lists.ibiblio.org'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [nafex] English Walnuts not doing so well
  • Date: Mon, 16 May 2016 18:08:10 +0000

Any advice or ideas appreciated.

We have two English walnut trees, about 80-90 yrs old. When we moved into
our house about ten yrs ago, they looked to be in pretty good shape, but are
clearly suffering now. Much of the smaller top wood is dead - very little
growth from terminal buds, but they are pushing out new buds from lower down
on the limbs. They seemed pretty sick last year, too. Both springs have
been perhaps a little cooler and wetter than normal, and we see a fair amount
of leaf disease (fungal?) later in the season, though new growth right now
looks good, just rather sparse. In addition to the small limbs and twigs
appearing dead, there are a few larger limbs dead on both

We had work done on them two summers ago, in response to significant limb
damage from a late spring heavy snow storm. They removed some of the top
wood and dead wood, and fertilized (a product injected into the soil).

We did have a fairly late freeze this year, but this is something we have
lived through before, and the current pattern of foliage growth just looks
different

I also see mushrooms / fungal growth at some of the broken or cut limb spots
during the year.

Thanks,
Paul