nafex - [nafex] Horizontal cordon espalier vs New Tall Spindle

  • From: "fuwa fuwa usagi" <fuwafuwausagi@muchomail.com>
  • Subject: [nafex] Horizontal cordon espalier vs New Tall Spindle
  • Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2016 15:13:28 -0700

Preface:

So the fluffy one is strongly kicking the tires on establishing a small
commercial orchard. As a result I likely shall be inundating the list with
asinine questions that only a rabbit who does not know his fluffy little tail
for a hole in the ground can do.

Question #1:

Does anyone have any studies that show the yield for espalier orchard
systems, I am thinking in particular about 3 to 4 tier horizontal cordons
(i.e. 6-8 arms)? In general my reference point are apple yields.

Additional information related to the question:

I have been looking strongly at the New Tall Spindle system for apples and
really like it, but I am deeply concerned about the ultimate height and one
of goals is to have a truly pedestrian orchard (for one I am deathly afraid
of height, I get on a kitchen chair and I get nervous, couple that with age
and deteriorating knees, it seems to me pedestrian is the way to go. Also on
the limited acreage I am considering I don’t think I could manage the cost of
a self-steer platform).
Hence I started thinking of horizontal espalier. Since I will be managing
the pruning myself, the skill factor is not as much of a concern as it
typically would be in an orchard. My instincts tell me this is a bad idea,
as the French would not have started looking at fruiting walls etc if the
yields were acceptable. But I am very open to people's experience.

Kindest regards to all,

The fluffy one

The Free Email with so much more!
=====> http://www.MuchoMail.com <=====

  • [nafex] Horizontal cordon espalier vs New Tall Spindle, fuwa fuwa usagi, 03/15/2016