nafex - [nafex] St, Lawrence Nurseries

  • From: Road's End Farm <organic87@frontiernet.net>
  • Subject: [nafex] St, Lawrence Nurseries
  • Date: Thu, 20 Aug 2015 18:20:35 -0400

St. Lawrence Nurseries is alive!

Bill MacKentley announced last year that he was retiring, and that the
nursery would be closing in the spring of 2015 for lack of a successor. So I
was surprised to get a mailing from them a couple of days ago. The mailing
says that Connor Hardiman, who used to work there, will be taking over. For
this next season they'll have only apple trees and Bali cherry, and orders
need to be in for next spring by October 30 of this year; but he's expecting,
if I understand it correctly, to gradually get back to a more normal range of
offerings.

For those who don't know, St. Lawrence specializes in very cold-hardy fruit
and nut trees -- as in, hardy to 30º to 50º below zero F. They're at
http://www.sln.potsdam.ny.us/ -- though I see that the page hasn't been
updated and still only mentions the retirement.