nafex - [nafex] Pakistan mulberry

  • From: Devin Smith <dvidedevo@yahoo.com>
  • Subject: [nafex] Pakistan mulberry
  • Date: Mon, 1 Jun 2015 01:08:45 +0000 (UTC)

I have been thinking about trialing Pakistan mulberry here in Vermont. I
understand that it is a real long shot, but given the fact that much of the
limitation seems to revolve around 'low chill' requirment, it might just
work. Hardiness-wise, I understand Atlanta area saw sub-zero temps. for a
couple of nights this past winter. Did those of you in the south who are
growing Pakistan experience severe dieback this winter? I'm thinking that our
winter weather is consistent enough that the trees would stay dormant, and
then I could 1. grow them on the own roots so they can resprout if need be
and 2. plant in a protected spot with some extra protection as people do with
figs. They sure are delicious, so I think its worth a shot.

I also noticed perusing the GRIN database that several other similar
selections are available, listed as Morus macroura or 'himalayan mulberry.'
One in particular DMOR 9  looks similar to 'pakistan', though a bit
scrawnier, and the description seems to suggest zone 5 hardiness, though on
second look I noticed this is merely a snippet from a seed savers exchange
write-up about the species. Anyone know anything about hardy higher-chill
macroura selections that might be a good stand in for
'pakistan'?