nafex - Re: [nafex] Sweet / Pie Cherry on Choke Cherry?

  • From: Jerry Lehman <jwlehman@aol.com>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Sweet / Pie Cherry on Choke Cherry?
  • Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2015 07:27:23 -0400

Hello Chris,

I certainly wish you good luck as I think you're going to need lots of it, likely more look than is available. There are several different plant species called chokecherry. I believe the nearest relative would be black cherry, Prunus Serotina. I had been told more than once that there is a compatibility problem between it and both sweet and sour cherry but gave it a try anyway. The graft took and survived for maybe 4 or 5 years. It never really grew like it should, maybe growing 3 feet during that period and the graft union never healed over, the union developed a large knot. But try it who knows you might find that 1 variety of black cherry that is compatible. And black cherries have good root systems and you may find a rootstock that could be propagated in-vitro.

Jerry