nafex - [nafex] Puffball mushrooms

  • From: "Dr. Lucky Pittman" <lpittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: "nafex" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [nafex] Puffball mushrooms
  • Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2014 13:48:05 -0500

Hey, it’s a fruit…of sorts…fruiting body of the fungus.

Anyway, just hit the jackpot today on my noon walk – got a bunch of large
egg-size puffballs I started watching earlier in the week, and a couple of
softball to volleyball sized ‘shrooms.

More than the wife and I will want to eat in one or two meals; would like to
‘save’ some for the daughter who’ll be visiting in a week or two.

Have previously sautéed slices and frozen them for later re-heating and
consumption; they’re OK that way, but not nearly so nice as fresh from the
yard/pasture.

Googling for info suggests that just freezing uncooked slices doesn’t yield
very good results…but I wondered… if I just took ‘em right out of the
freezer and plopped ‘em in the frying pan, still frozen, to sautee, or
lightly breaded them and deep-fried them… would that work?

Anybody tried freezing puffball slices without cooking before hand?

Lucky Pittman