nafex - [nafex] Seeking a Resolution on Tree Damage

  • From: sherwin <sherwindu@att.net>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [nafex] Seeking a Resolution on Tree Damage
  • Date: Sat, 20 Sep 2014 00:29:45 -0500

I am still trying to determine what attacked three of my mature apple trees.

People on this forum are reporting that this year was a terrible one for fireblight.
Others are reporting losses due to the severe Winter, although these are directed
more to blossom loss.

I sent samples of my damaged trees to the U of I Extension Service, and they came
back with no obvious indicators. This could be because the sample were taken
later in the Summer when the fireblight is possibly dormant. I plan to send more
samples in the Spring, especially is I see more die back and possible spread of any
infection.

Strangely, two of these trees have been putting out water spout type growth with
healthy looking leaves. Possibly, I can use them to restart the trees. I don't know
if this sheds any more light on what damaged these trees.

I am also seeing some browning of leaf tips on our other trees, but that could be
something unrelated like uneven watering. In any case, I will add copper to my
dormant oil spray this Spring to try and inhibit any spread of possible viruses.
It's interesting that I am reading that this is the last season copper will be allowed
to be sold as a fungicide in the USA. There is talk of other substitutes. Some people
are suggesting sulfur, which also has been disallowed for orchard use. Makes me
wonder who is pushing the buttons over at the government agencies. They banned
Imidan, which I think is the only serious preventative for apple maggot and plum
curculio.

Sherwin Dubren
Morton Grove, IL

  • [nafex] Seeking a Resolution on Tree Damage, sherwin, 09/20/2014