nafex - Re: [nafex] girdling

  • From: Ginda Fisher <list@ginda.us>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] girdling
  • Date: Tue, 8 Jul 2014 23:59:23 -0400

But I tried something along those lines to encourage a tree to grow a
vegetative branch where I wanted it this spring, and I was amazed by how
successful it was. I took a pocket knife and cut through the bark a little
above a bud I wanted to sprout, and it did. Looking at the tree, the only
other "old" bud that sprouted a new branch was one that had a piece of twine
rubbing against the trunk a little up from the bud.

I was advised to slice below a bud to encourage fruiting, and above to
encourage vegetative growth. It's worth a try next spring.

Ginda