nafex - [nafex] container loquat flowering

  • From: Devin Smith <dvidedevo@yahoo.com>
  • To: "nafex@lists.ibiblio.org" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [nafex] container loquat flowering
  • Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2014 18:57:07 -0700 (PDT)

I'm excited to see that loads of blossoms on my 2 container loquats are
unfurling. I've kept these here in southern VT for the past 4 years or so,
and they have always flowered around the "normal" time, which is early
winter. While I've gotten a fair number of fruit the last couple of years,
they've always been really puny because of the short overcast days during
ripening. This year, they seem to have "adapted" to the climate by flowering
a second time in late spring. Do any of you keep container loquats, and if
so, have you gotten a "breba" crop too? I assume flowering is related to
photoperiodism. Maybe the aberrant sunshine of late winter fooled the tree in
to thinking it was winter again? They did flush with growth after the first
crop, maybe around late february, and those leaves seem to be mostly
dropping. I kept them in the master bedroom of my passive
solar/superinsulated house, so they never saw temperatures much below 68, and
got lots of sun
intermittently on the days it was available. If nothing else, I'd like to
figure out what kind of trick I pulled so I can pull it again. I'm hoping
finally for some good sized fruit from these babies.

-Devin Smith
Witness Oak Polycultures
Rockingham, VT