nafex - Re: [nafex] planting peach tree re: graft union

  • From: Ginda Fisher <list@ginda.us>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] planting peach tree re: graft union
  • Date: Sat, 19 Apr 2014 08:31:40 -0400

Some trees, like apples, will form new roots if the truck get buried. Those
trees aren't too fussy about what depth you bury them to, and you can pick
the depth based on whether you WANT the trunk to root or not.

But many trees don't do that. Such trees want to be planted at the same depth
they originally grew at, or even a tad higher. Some trees are tolerant, and
will survive being buried too deeply, but it will stunt them for life.

I don't know which type peaches are. But I would be inclined to plant it so
that it was at the same depth as it had grown before you got it, to the
extent you can tell, unless you have some strong reason to plant it some
other way.

Ginda