nafex - [nafex] crab apple disease resistance

  • From: Devin Smith <dvidedevo@yahoo.com>
  • To: "nafex@lists.ibiblio.org" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [nafex] crab apple disease resistance
  • Date: Sun, 6 Apr 2014 14:39:45 -0700 (PDT)

A picture and caption I noticed at the recent Maine Tree Crop Alliance
Scionwood
Swap reminded me of an idea/question that has long been brewing in my
mind about the seeming resistance of crab apples to all manner of bugs
and insects. Perhaps its not surprising that bugs in particular would go for
the big choice fruits given the chance. Still, it seems that there
is some mystery to be uncovered here. It just doesn't seem that crab
apple trees typically suffer from the onslaught of plague and pestilence here
in the northeast. Maybe the fruits are just so small and numerous
that the curculio riddled drops aren't noticeable? Still doesn't explain the
blemish free fruit festooning every branch. I suppose high levels of tannins
could be a factor. Still, it seems that some of the better eating crabs are
quite often free of blemishes somehow. Whatever the explanation, are similar
mysterious forces at work when it comes to summer apples. It seems that
Transparent apples, for one, seem to suffer little if any damage. Has
anyone else noticed this, and if so, how do you explain it? At the swap
this year, I focused largely on getting some choice crab varieties in the
hopes that these might prove quite a bit easier to grow. Any thoughts?.
-Devin Smith
Witness Oak Polycultures
Rockingham, VT