nafex - Re: [nafex] "King Red" (Eleaeagnus angustifolia var. orietalis)

  • From: John S <swim_at_svc@yahoo.com>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] "King Red" (Eleaeagnus angustifolia var. orietalis)
  • Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2014 09:44:51 -0700 (PDT)

I purchased a Trebizond Date from One Green World years ago (maybe 6 or 7?)
which might have been the same variety. It lived two years for me before
dying. It was definitely and Elaeagnus of some kind. Dont know if they are
still growing them, but havent noticed it in their catalog recently. They
might be a source of seed or plants.

I just posted a request for seeds on
the permies forum - will see. The
first Iranian online grocer I tried won't ship to Canada-
will keep trying.

On Tue, Mar 25, 2014 at 11:25 PM, Nutritional Solutions
<btnutrition@aol.com
> wrote:

> I've seen a thread on them at permies.com, so I know
there are some
> people growing them who perhaps might have seed
available, and possibly
> experience growing them in different regions.
> http://www.permies.com/t/33839/forest-garden/Trebizond-Date-Eleaeagnus-angustifolia-var
> Also of note, a thread (in French) with several photos
of the fruit on the
> tree: http://www.greffer.net/discussion/viewtopic.php?t=2302
> Historical note from 1978 with some details about the
plant:
> http://www.il.nrcs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_PLANTMATERIALS/publications/nmpmcrbelanking.pdf
[later removed from list of recommended conservation plants
due to
> concerns about potential invasiveness in the west]
> Also good listing in Plants for a Future database:
> http://www.pfaf.org/user/Plant.aspx?LatinName=Elaeagnus+orientalis(they've
rated edibility at 4 "stars")
> Dave's Garden does not list any sources for seed or
plants.

> Jeanne Wallace, northern Utah foothills, 4600'
elevation (1 acre edible
> landscape, 75+ varieties of fruits & nuts)

elaeagnus sp (Mary Yett)

> Attached Message

> Mary Yett <yettmw@gmail.com>

> Re: [nafex] [NAFEX] russian olive, elaeagnus sp

> Mon, 24 Mar 2014 11:10:51 -0400
>

> Dang! Where else can we buy them?
>

> On Sat, Mar 22, 2014 at 1:07 PM, mIEKAL aND <qazingulaza@gmail.com>
wrote:

> > Just tried to order the E angustifolia va
orietalis from Baker Creek