nafex - Re: [nafex] grafting an apple in May

  • From: david liezen <chandos49@hotmail.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] grafting an apple in May
  • Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2014 21:49:17 +0000

If you may not or cannot get there before May, why not try cutting some twigs
and rooting them? I'd cut pieces about 12 inches long, wrap them in wet paper
towel and seal in zip lock for transport. ASAP strip the leaves/buds from the
lower half or more, score once with a knife, say half the length, before
dipping in rooting powder or gel/solution. Plant deep in a sheltered spot and
keep soil moist. I'd take half a dozen, to tip the odds in your favor.

Once you have one growing well, in a couple years you can take a scion and
graft onto whatever you'd like. Then you can toss or sell the young standard.

BTW, I haven't tried this with apple, but made it work with Japanese maple.
No doubt someone with greater direct experience with rooting apple cuttings
can improve on my suggestion.

Dave Liezen, E WA, where lilac buds are swelling and tulip leaves are several
inches tall at last