nafex - [nafex] White Currants and Birds

  • From: John S <swim_at_svc@yahoo.com>
  • Subject: [nafex] White Currants and Birds
  • Date: Sun, 2 Mar 2014 20:20:42 -0800 (PST)

I grow a couple varieties of white currants. The birds generally ignore them
early the season, but do take them later as they ripen and sweeten if I don't
net them or harvest early. Don't know why the timing, perhaps they are
distracted by another type of food for a while. Mostly its the rob-ins.
Pinks currants and gooseberries are decimated fairly quickly by the same
birds. Of white, pink and red currants, I much prefer the taste of the
whites and wish I had more.