nafex - Re: [nafex] Best Dog Breed for Orchard Protection?

  • From: Deb Schneider <debs913@gmail.com>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Best Dog Breed for Orchard Protection?
  • Date: Sun, 2 Mar 2014 16:33:22 -0500

I don't think it's a matter of a breed at all. Just about any dog is going
to alert bark at deer. Whether that is enough to chase off the deer or not
depends on the deer. Larger dogs will be more intimidating.

All dogs need training for good manners. Most dogs dig, many will eat ripe
and unripe fruit (and this may make some of them sick. Dogs will also pull
up newly planted trees (had a Malamute that "retrieved" one for me once).
Dogs need shelter, water, and food and dog food may draw rats and other
small vermin. Dogs will need to be fenced in the orchard, tying them out
is pretty cruel.

Some dogs may actually manage to pull down a deer. This might get the dog
injured, so I'd be prepared for vet bills as well.

Dogs generally do not want to sit out alone, they are pack creatures and
love their people. Bored and lonely dogs get into mischief, bark, dig,
chew. Getting two dogs might alleviate this, or you might get two bored
barking dogs that fight with each other.

It would probably be cheaper in the long run and kinder to build a really
tall fence around your orchard and/or periodically cull the deer.