nafex - [nafex] Want apple seeds?

  • From: tanis <tanistanis@hotmail.com>
  • Subject: [nafex] Want apple seeds?
  • Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2014 20:27:00 +0000

Last year I sent to the Pomona editor an article which included my
recommendation to grow crops of faster growth and shorter lifespan than
standard apple trees, considering the increasing weather extremes. Against
my own advice, I salvaged seeds while processing some apples last year. Two
chance-seedling small apples or apple-crabs, one yellow, one red. I know the
yellow grows nowhere near true to type. If anyone wants to try growing their
own seedling rootstocks and missed other chances at 2013 seeds, reply off
list.

I kept some pear seeds too. (Hey, if you toss 'em, you don't have 'em.)
Mostly from a Bartlett-type of forgotten name.

tc, s.WI, telling the young neighbors "Winters always used to be like this."

  • [nafex] Want apple seeds?, tanis, 01/16/2014