nafex - [nafex] pull or topwork

  • From: Alan Haigh <alandhaigh@gmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [nafex] pull or topwork
  • Date: Tue, 3 Dec 2013 15:16:58 -0500

That would depend partially on the rootstock. If it is 26 or more dwarfing
you might just as well replace the trees if your time is pretty valuable,
but more vigorous rootstock would make it more worth while to top work,
especially if you don't need to put up cleft grafts which take so much more
time than a simple splice graft on a water sprout or two. Meaningful
harvests can be yours within two to three years and, of course, the grafts
are as strong or stronger than original wood.

I transform hundreds of trees and my favorite way to do it is take a
watersprout at the center of the tree and transform it into a whole new
tree. On very old and large trees I will do it by the scaffold.