nafex - Re: [nafex] pull or topwork ?

  • From: sherwin <sherwindu@att.net>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] pull or topwork ?
  • Date: Sun, 01 Dec 2013 21:01:50 -0600

On 12/1/2013 5:08 PM, Richard wrote:
Hello my friends;
What a great year my orchard had! Unfortunately, some of the apple varieties just don't sell that good. Summer Rambo and Pound Sweet are not popular at all; especially the P.S. The Wolf Rivers are bought by people who cook with them; the trees are very productive, though. TONS of fruit.
There are 8 Rambo trees, 6 WR trees, and 7 PS trees. I'm going to
keep 1 of each for pollination, but the rest are doomed. They are 8 years old.
Here's the question:
Would you pull out the trees and replant, or top work them into new varieties?
Please tell me which you would do, and why....
This should be interesting!
Thanks
Murph
Murph

Murph,

If your rootstocks are healthy and vigorous, that would give you a leg up on restarting new varieties.
However, I have had only limited success in topworking and for me, it is a slow process. It depends
a lot on the compatibility of your new scion to this older rootstock. I would try one year of topworking
to see how this works out. You can always pull the trees at a later date.

Sherwin in Morton Grove, IL