nafex - Re: [nafex] picking & Jonagold

  • From: Jwlehman@aol.com
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] picking & Jonagold
  • Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2013 07:56:04 -0400 (EDT)

In a message dated 8/27/2013 7:32:41 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
alandhaigh@gmail.com writes:

> It they are ripe, picking could be done earlier but most varieties
> require multiple pickings. A few dropped fruit could be an indicator that
> it's
> time to start picking.

Yesterday I picked two bushels off my Johnagold tree. Not my favorite
apple, but a good one. Makes very good apple sauce. Neighbors have been
collecting pickups and off the tree for sauce and pies for at least two
weeks. I
picked basically by color, some red on the fruit. There is at least another
bushel on the tree that are totally green. The green ones will also increase
in
size and color up. What alandhaigh wrote it certainly true about Jonagold.
My Johnagold could be picked weekly for as long as 4 weeks here.

This tree produces a good crop almost every year. Only sprayed it once,
post bloom, and it is almost totally free of Fly Speck fungus and very few
wormy fruits.
My other trees, Mutsu for example, is loaded with Fly Speck, but it washes
off and is one of my favorite apple varieties.

Jerry