nafex - Re: [nafex] Jerry's question on squirrels. now cats and Kania traps

  • From: Scott Smith <scott@cs.jhu.edu>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Jerry's question on squirrels. now cats and Kania traps
  • Date: Thu, 8 Aug 2013 11:17:55 -0400

I have three cats and they never showed any interest in the traps. Do put
them up in a tree or pole and not on the ground to decrease the odds that
their curiosity will get the better of them.

There are problems with other nut-lovers: I have trapped chipmunks, flying
squirrels, and raccoons. Plus sometimes the birds set them off, but I never
trapped one.

Re: smaller squirrels, based on my experience in trapping juvenile greys I
would say you can bend in the D-shaped wire some to make the headspace
narrower and it will trigger for the smaller squirrels. Do make sure to lay
out plenty of mast and have the trap in their path to the fruit. This
morning I saw a squirrel coming in from a side of my yard where I don't have
a trap; this evening I am going to pole-mount another trap and place it right
in his path.

I recently ordered one more trap and learned they are backordered until
September.

Scott